oceanside school board election

Land use is foremost a community-wide political matter. He is a professor of mathematics at Nassau Community College and chair of the Mathematics, Computer Science and Information Tech-nology Department. Ive served as a school counselor in our community for the past 7 years and have seen firsthand how school closures and the pandemic have impacted student mental health and learning. Recent State planning laws permit up to 8 units on most of our single-family lots, inadequate parking, increased height waivers and minimal setbacks. The use of R-30 by right upzoning with the preposterous presumption of affordability has unleashed a torrent of luxury apartment complexes without proper environmental review, adverse impact mitigation or necessary infrastructure development which in some cases puts public safety in jeopardy. In 2016, he was elected to the office. There should be a balance. Incumbent Richard Shea has the endorsement of the Democrats and Emily Wichmann is endorsed by the Republicans. It has given me the ability to make informed decisions and making sure that the priorities of the district are those that will make communication and engagement of our families and staff truly a success. Registered nurse McCarthy has a doctorate in nursing and teaches at USD. As running are two candidates for City Treasurer incumbent Craig Lindholm and challenge Lance Schulte while Sherry Freisinger will be the next city clerk. NO new property, sales, or mileage taxes! As Trustee, I served two years as Board President, and lead the Board when balancing our budget, passing a bond improving school facilities, and strengthening relations with teachers and staff. Item was prematurely placed before the council. And in Trustee Area Number 5, on the eastern portion of the district, incumbent Mike Blessing is running for re-election against challengers Todd Maddison and Susana Arvizu. All regularly scheduled board meetings are open to the public. State housing laws are not likely to change in the near future, Carlsbad can address the problems of housing and still protect our neighborhoods. An insider believes that the Sweetwater Teachers Association will endorse Elva Lopez-Zapeda. Finding creative ways to put in affordable housing with the lowest impact to surrounding neighborhoods will be something I will work closely on. In July 2019, the Fiscal Crisis & Management Assistance Team, which analyzes finances for school districts throughout the state, released a report concluding that Oceanside Unified is at moderate risk of insolvency after years of deficit spending, bitter labor negotiations and declining enrollment. Board of Education Overview: The Board of Education consists of seven members who are elected to three-year terms. Residents of Encinitas will also have the opportunity to vote on Measure L, which would fund city departmental and general services with a cannabis and hemp tax. My background is uniquely comprised of local knowledge combined with global business experience. My first name is Frida with a d (not Frita). I disagree with the county of San Diego trying to shut down small businesses while allowing giant corporations to remain open during the never-ending state of emergency. I will build a shelter for the homeless and ensure we keep our communities safe. As in most things in life, a wise judge once said; context matters. Shame on the optics of pay-for-play. If elected, I will foster positive relationships with all stakeholders to ensure our students have equitable opportunities to succeed and our schools have the resources necessary to provide a safe, supportive, and engaging place for all students to learn, grow, and pursue their passions. Audit property and sales tax revenue returns. Open meeting laws also prohibit the board from discussing specific employees or their job performance at a public board meeting. This year two council seats are up for election in Oceanside. Audit all city revenues and spending. (619) 557-4025 (Fax) Local elected officials are responsive to voters, who have the right to appear before them when making decisions, a right you do not have at the state legislature. I have had the honor of serving the residents of Encinitas as a member of the City Council since 2012. I would have found a way to fund the lights without diminishing our law enforcement presence. I have corrected the article with Frida versus Frita. We keep pushing our workforce further away from jobs to find affordable housing while complaining about the greenhouse gases those commutes produce. That includes correcting misguided approaches to housing and homelessness and stopping spending on vanity projects. When is the new seafood restaurant on the Oceanside pier going to open? Every parcels use affects others in the vicinity. That said, the broader economics of cost of living and inflation fall outside of municipal reach. This item removed time limitations on the display of campaign signs. I support the Brand-Huang-Mendoza Tripartisan Land Use Initiative. San Diego County's midterm election sees voters weighing in on development in the Midway District, two school board races and 12 appellate judge positions. The general election is on Nov. 8, and mail-in ballots will be sent to voters this month. Way too many dates to list. In District 1, incumbent Councilmember Corinna Contreras is running unopposed for her seat. Her campaign web page is here. In a 2010 article about Shields campaign for re-election, East County Magazine reported, Board trustee Shield, a middle school teacher, is endorsed by the San Diego Republican Party, California Pro-Life-Council, San Diego Union-Tribune . He still has the Republican Party endorsement. Mr. Blau is an attorney specializingin labor law. Instead they should have had the Director recommend to declare a drought. Finally, I will continue to work to hire more deputies for our growing city. Public safety is the main reason for any government to exist. If the measure fails, the city will be forced to lay off employees. Check out The Coast News previews of state and federal races and statewide ballot propositions impacting North County. Sorry again. He also sits on the executive council of the Patient and Family Advisory Committee at the UCSD Moores Cancer Center. His career in education includes more than 20-years teaching mathematics in SDUSD and SUHSD. State housing laws are not likely to change in the near future, Carlsbad can address the problems of housing and still protect our neighborhoods. We encourage all residents to attend Board Meetings, including our budget workshops that take place January-March. Your email address will not be published. We dont need thousands of new units for 300 state mandated homes. I am supported by local leaders and I am proudly endorsed by the Vista Firefighters. Approving and moving forward with Street Scape, Getting massive loans to fund it and not included actual needs like Rail Crossing on Vulcan North as part of the plan. Lawson teaches psychology at Grossmont College and Lloyd is a councilor at San Diego City College. If each low-income housing project accommodated more mandated units, it would take fewer projects, less environmental impact & less traffic. The City Clerk serves as the Election Officer for the City. I now have the unique opportunity to continue representing as an unopposed candidate on November 8, 2022. Amagansett - Passed 75-15. Now retired, he continues to volunteer his time in service to the community, a passion that has spanned more than three decades. But, excessive regulations raise the cost of housing and block desperately needed homes. Maddison has lived in the district for almost 20 years, and moved to the district because of its schools. School #6 Early Childhood Center; School #2; School #3; School #4; School #5; School #8; . In Area C, Rebecca Williams is the anti-mask and anti-vaccine mandates candidate endorsed by the Republican Party. As your mayor, I will fight to build affordable housing for working and middle-class families, provide relief for renters, and bring good paying jobs with benefits to Vista. 145 Merle Avenue. Also on the ballot is Measure J, which gives the city the authority to spend up to $24 million to renovate the Monroe Street Pool. When I moved for approval, Mayor Rebecca Jones blocked a vote by bringing her own motion to table indefinitely my original motion.No vote was ever taken. I support first responders and policies that wont saddle them with unnecessary challenges. We commute over 30 miles per day on average to work and cannot afford over $2000 per year in new taxes per car. Every decade when the Census is released, the Board must review the new Census data on the current Trustee Area map to ensure population balance across each area. Area 3 includes Bonita and Eastlake. Since 1999, the Green has served as a gathering place for Oceansiders to enjoy school and civic activities. I will continue to fund public safety as I have in the past and working hard to continue our crime rate decline as weve seen over the past 5 years. Weve built one moderate rate housing development in the last few years and around 30% of what we need for below moderate rate income families. The city will soon trigger housing law requirements to find more parcels to up zone. Here is a review of the candidates in our ten largest school districts and the County Office of Education. [emailprotected]; www.DesmondforSupervisor.com. Vista consistently meets its Regional Housing Needs Assessment, even before SB9. Incumbent Councilwoman Kelly Harless lives outside the boundaries of District 4 and is unable to run for re-election. Eric Joyce was elected to represent Oceanside's District 1 on November 8, 2022. Supervisor Jim Desmond, Board of Supervisors, District 5. She is engaged with many Poway civic groups and is endorsed by the Democratic Party. He also is active in St. Anthony's Church, and has served as a coordinator of the North Shore University Hospital's Brain Aneurysm Awareness Walk as well as other charity events. Laura Lisi was appointed to the Board of Education in November of 2022 to fill the seat of departing trustee Maryjane McGrath-Mulhern, who resigned. Use the city tool to, A candidate forum hosted by the League of Women Voters will take place from 6 to 7 p.m. on Oct. 10 over Zoom. She has a campaign web page. Based on the recommendations of staff, the planning commission, and the impact on our Climate Action Plan I would have listened to our community, sided with our experts, and voted against this project. His proudest accomplishment was creating Schoolhouse Green along with his wife, Betsy. Bay Shore - Passed 1,154-438. In their bids for re-election, incumbents Mike Blessing and Adrianne Hakes faced challengers Bess Bronson, Blair Daniels, and . (516) 569-4000, To donate or for more information, click here, College union continues push for fair contracts, Young students write Valentines letters for Veterans, Elmont school board president questioned about bus use, Lynbrook High student business leaders excel, Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions. The $93,000 she has already reported dwarfs the sums raised by any other San Diego school board candidate. Make information available to the public. She has the endorsement of the Republican Party and reports on her web page the support of Carl DeMaio and Joel Anderson. Rhetoric about defunding the police makes no sense. If re-elected, he said, he would work to get our kids back to school as quickly and safely as possible, to build school facilities quickly and cost-effectively, and seek public input. Im a 37-yr Cardiff resident, I love my city, Im well informed, and long involved in local affairs. As mayor, I will act on housing that meets the needs of our workforce, so the state doesnt have to. 1600 Pacific Highway. As your Mayor, I will continue to focus on our quality of life, our local businesses & local planning decisions. A long-time member and 12-year president of Oceanside Community Service, he helped develop the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday food & gift delivery programs. Hi Im Jeff Morris and Im running for Encinitas Mayor. Both candidates have served on one or multiple city boards. I am running to protect Encinitas from overdevelopment and fulfill why we incorporated in 1986. It is not just the amount but who is contributing that is worrisome. Two candidates will be on the November ballot for the position of San Diego County Sheriff, with voters facing the choice between undersheriff Kelly Martinez and former San Diego assistant city attorney John Hemmerling. The appointment will last until the 2023 Board of Education election. Although Wichmann does not have any formal training or experience in education, her 24 years on the Oceanside Unified school board vests her with on the job training. She has been recognized many times for her civic work, earning the Citizen of The Year, Woman of Distinction and PTA Heart and Soul awards. Affordable housing is a critical need, Carlsbad has the land and opportunity to address it. We must work together and creatively as a council to put the most energy efficient, accessible housing plan into action while preserving community character. He grew up in La Jolla attending public schools there. Emily Wichmann was the only incumbent running for re-election. Two candidates have stepped up in District 2 to replace Councilmember Christopher Rodriguez, who is not running for reelection this year. js = d.createElement( s ); Garcia and many of his constituents were moved into District 2 due to the redistricting process required by municipalities across the region and state following the release of the U.S. Census 2020 data. Area 5 incumbent Cesar Fernandez also faces three challengers. The forced shutdowns hurt minority owned and small businesses the worst. District-5 runs along the coast north from Del Mar to camp Pendleton. First thing I plan on doing as Mayor is to support our sheriffs so they can enforce the laws with homeless assaults on residents. Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP). I would have been more cautious with taxpayer money. Noem Abrego lists herself as a community volunteer. Muoz has been on the board since 2014 and teaches English at Cuyamaca College. I believe a smart city councilman lets the residents opinions be a part of the solutions. Its important to have experienced leadership at the helm, managing our Citys business. The five-person City Council has a mayor elected in an at-large capacity and four council members, each elected to represent a different district. The city has very little control over the cost of living/inflation. The Voice of San Diego stated, [His] history of involvement, his progressive politics and his support of, and membership in local unions led to a cascade of endorsements from Democratic officials and many of San Diegos most robust unions, like the San Diego Education Association, which represents SDUSDs teachers., Public school students 36,557 Charter school students 1,469 Percent charter 3.9%. I would love to participate on the SANDAG board and lend my common-sense ideas. My position on increasing safety is supporting our police officers, prevention, transparency, and communication. SDUSD is one of the few districts to require a primary to earn a spot on the general election ballot. My husband and I have raised two children in Village Park. Additionally, she represents the Board of Education on various advisory boards, councils and committees. The mayoral race between current Councilman Keith Blackburn and retired businessman Mike Curtin is citywide, while districts 1 and 3 feature races in the north and southern parts of the city. 9/14/21 With two councilmembers absent, Councilwomen Contreras & Melendez moved to defund one sheriffs deputy and instead spend it on street lighting. The information contained below is directly from 32 candidates running for municipal office who participated in The Coast News questionnaire. He has the endorsement of the Democratic Party. am beholden only to you and not big $$ donors. Martinez has received. I was born and raised here in North County, growing up between San Marcos and Leucadia. We need to listen to our residents and listen to those best educated in these issues. Item 10A Ordinance #2016-03 on Campaign Regulations. I will work with developers and champion more homes that are affordable to our community. For more information, visit, Voters will also be asked to vote for or against. Janet Bremseth lists herself as a community volunteer. With his extensive background in maintenance, building systems and general construction, Mr. Transom advocates to cost-effectively maximize taxpayer dollars to give the children of our district the best facilities and infrastructure to be successful learners. John Borja is a former school teacher who recently ran for the Chula Vista city council. We should streamline the process for builders and residents who desire to improve their property, which increases their property values. Mr.D'ambrosio remains active in Oceanside Community Service, the Knights of Columbus,Long Island's Junior Soccer League, and the executive board of directors of the Eastern New York Youth Soccer Association. Martinez has proposed increasing onsite medical and mental health professionals, while Hemmerling has proposed immediate behavioral health assessments for all inmates and increased support for jail deputies. On 2/12/29, I brought a city council resolution to oppose future offshore drilling. His outrageous agendas like creating a gerrymandered map to eliminate board members he didnt like were passed because the other conservatives on the board felt obligated to support him. Mrs. Schoell represents the school districts interests as a member of the New York State Legislative Network. Running for the Board of Education: Candidates for the board must be qualified voters of the district and must file a nominating petition with the district clerk no later than 30 days prior to the annual election. In D3, incumbent Priya Bhat-Patel is challenged by Ray Pearson, who currently sits on the CUSD Board of Trustees. Sorry about that Frida. The decision to eliminate approximately 90% of the potential housing in the unincorporated areas of the county. The bedrock of American Democracy is the school board. Do you support the California State Legislatures attempts to make it easier for cities to build high-density units without affordability requirements or local review? They reversed Planning Commissions denial, ignored key wildfire evacuation plan inadequacies and allowed a lot line change to avoid environmental review. An increase from the $163.4 million budget that was. The other two candidates are blank slates. Yes, I support the Tripartisan Land Use Initiative. I now serve on the citys General Plan Advisory Committee. Sandie Schoell was first elected to the board in 2005. Programs such as Sixth Grade Conference Day, held at Hofstra University,the inter-generational holiday chorus,the intergenerational forum, anda career exploration lecture series,developed at School #2, continue decades after they were first launched. An original pool of seven candidates was narrowed down to two in the June primary, with Martinez receiving the most votes followed by Hemmerling, who defeated fellow frontrunner Dave Meyers by a small margin for a spot on the ballot. A statewide PAC in Pennsylvania, funded largely by venture capitalist and Bucks County parent Paul Martino, said that at least 101 of its candidates won their elections Tuesday, though results. Southern CA transit ridership steadily declined from 2000-2015 and fell further in the pandemic. Local voters should determine their communities future. He was previously a police officer with the San Diego Police Department and a Marine Corps commander. This November 8 th, half of the school board positions in San Diego County will be on the ballot. She has served as vice president four times and as president four times, presiding through challenges such as the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the introduction of Common Core, high stakes testing, tax cap legislation enacted by New York State and now the Covid-19 pandemic. Its just common sense. White has raised over $26,000 with $8,750 in loans. The political firing of Planning Commissioner Bruce Ehlers (4-13-22, #10A) a political hit job on a respected & experienced public servant that was opposed by other commissioners. Robinson has received more than $27,000, of which $1,500 came from loans. The only rapid transit that has a serious appeal is a high speed rail line along the coast. js.id = id; } He worked in the SUHSD before transitioning to a position at the county board of education. The city anticipates that $800,000 to $1,400,000 annually could be generated. We are a society of cars, we are better off with bikes, Electric Vehicles, Ridesharing, its just the way we are. , which finished earlier this year, with some slight changes to the district maps. Andersons economic interest statement (form 700) indicates she is quite wealthy. 2022 San Diego County midterm election: Live results . I think Public Transit is my lowest priority because, in Carlsbad, the only modes of Public Transit, busing and rail, are managed by the County, State and Federal levels of government. I disagree with the idea that in order to do some things well we must ignore others. Incumbent Mayor Paul McNamara will face challenger Dane White. Curtin, meanwhile, spent his career first in aerospace, ran a division of Mitsubishi Electronics and then co-founded Gameday Sports Network. The uniqueness of D1 provides its own challenges and opportunities to thoughtfully build relative to infill, redevelopment and new construction. Mrs. Schoell is a long-time PTA member and leader, eventually heading up PTA Council, and has received many accolades including the PTA Heart and Soul award. Council must lobby and oppose these laws to restore local land use control. Maddison, 60, served as parent representative on Oceanside Unified s Local Control Accountability Plan Committee and also on the Parent Advisory Committee, helped found the Oceanside Parents 4 Kids PTO group, and is a member of the El Camino High School site council. Likewise, I will work with city staff and support reasonable and prudent methods that manage the impacts from and the prevention of homelessness. Our first responders need to be fully supported, especially our firefighters. Quite the contrary, we need to invest in more training, both to reduce unnecessary use of force incidents. Two seats are set to expire on the Oceanside Unified. I believe in local control. Home mortgage strategist Bob Weller has the endorsement of all five sitting board members. Both candidates have shared different goals regarding pertinent issues facing the department, such as the rise in in-custody deaths at the San Diego County Jail. Worden was appointed to the council in 2014 and has served as mayor for the past year. Schools #5 and #8 are among 300 public schools across the nation . Mr. Maresca was known for developing innovative programs as a principal to complement curriculum and foster greater connections among residents and schools. Its imperative that voters support the ballot initiative next year to restore our local power. We need someone willing to say no to cutting from our kids to benefit adults.. Other than her endorsement by the Republican Party little else is known about her. Affordable housing is a critical need, Carlsbad has the land and opportunity to address it. an Oceanside School District for at least 30 days prior to election Registration: Voter registration shall take place year-round between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays in the District Clerk's office at 145 Merle Avenue, except during the five days prior to any school district election. Public Safety: I will continue to provide resources, equipment, and personnel needed to fight wildfires. The Republicans do a formal endorsement while the Democrats identify party members on the ballot. url: 'https://thecoastnews.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php', Area 5 has Katheryn McCarthy challenging incumbent Jon Petersen. We have a housing crisis and our current approach has resulted in more homelessness. Everything in life is about compromise. As Carlsbad sees more housing development in the next few years, I will be a champion for building density where AND ONLY WHERE it creates walkable communities that MAINTAIN our citys unique character. The district looks new after the countys redistricting commission approved its final map earlier this year. Born and raised in San Diego County. He is endorsed by the Democratic Party. version: 'v3.0' Turning this issue into a political storm is not addressing the problem. Based on her posts on Facebook, it appears Wichmann tacitly supports the anti-LGBTQ attacks and her LinkedIn page indicates she supports standardized testing. All with my opponents vote of approval, he said. Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP). A 25-year member of the Kiwanis Club of Oceanside, Mr. Transom served four years as Club President. However, at this time our focus needs to be infrastructure, housing, homelessness, and safety in our communities. The board is responsible for making policy, subject to state law, regulations and decisions of the New York State commissioner of education. I disagreed with a number of them. fjs.parentNode.insertBefore( js, fjs ); Encinitas needs certain affordable housing, especially for the very low wage workers, people on fixed income, and starter homes affordable to young families so they can build generational wealth. Woods opponents Gabriel Lawson and Jo Hart Lloyd are both Community College educators. }; Steve Puterski, Laura Place, Samantha Nelson and Jacqueline Covey contributed reporting to this preview. Heand his wife have three adult children who graduated from the Oceanside School District and five grandchildren, who also are attending Oceanside schools. San Diego, CA 92101. Oceanside School Board Mike Blessing Eleanor Juanita Evans Palomar Community College District Tim Fillinger Rose Marie Dishman Poway Unified School Board Debra Cooper Carol Ware Ramona Unified School Board Dawn Perfect John Rajcic Rancho Sante Fe School Board Jee Manghani Tyler Seltzer lise L. Dufresne San Dieguito Union School Board She has been on the board since 2014 and is endorsed by the Democratic Party. Keeping our town the jewel in the tiara is my main focus; we cannot exploit it; this is why people move here & visit. To solve the statewide affordable housing issue should not be controlled by the States solutions except for reforming CEQA. The laws generally force mostly market-rate units and provide minimal (15%) lower income units. Michael Black is a personal injury attorney who shows no education experience or background. Mr. Kaplan's focus is on expanding curriculum opportunities for students within budgetary restrictions, maintaining safety and security, bringing more attention and support to mental health issues, and ensuring that students are college and career ready when they graduate from Oceanside High School. Retired industrial mechanic Mickey Jackson has the endorsement of the Democratic Party. Three seats are up for election on the Oceanside Unified School District board. The last thing we need is a six-cent per mile mileage tax. For your highest priority issue above, sum up what you propose to do about it. All election-related questions should be addressed to the City Clerk Department at (760) 435-3001 or e-mailed to cityclerk@oceansideca.org. OFFICIAL FINAL ELECTION RESULTS Voter Turnout 54.2% Ballots Cast 1,043,490 Mail Ballots 939,102 Vote Center Ballots 104,388 Registered Voters 1,925,738 Precincts Reporting 100% Fully Reporting 2,718 Total Precincts 2,718 List Slideshow Filter Races Showing 229 of 229 contests GOVERNOR (VOTE FOR 1) LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR (VOTE FOR 1) SECRETARY OF STATE The City is going to have to work hard to find developers who are committed to the same goals and to preserving local community character. Public Safety. Law enforcement officers provide medical aid to residents, encounter numerous residents on a daily basis and are critical in providing safety to our county residents. We need a housing inventory that has enough diversity to provide an option of people that work in Encinitas to live here. Gary Woods, the incumbent in Area 3, taught online graduate courses at Liberty University and serves as executive director of the Equip Biblical Institute. Oceanside Unified School District board members met on July 21 to discuss the district's learning plan for the fall. I would have advocated proactive measures to retain local control. All businesses should have been held to the same safety standards, and allowed to remain open. Chemung County. Solutions Community-based policing, Safe Zones, Youth afterschool programs, more presence. Joyce is a special education teacher who was first elected to Oceanside Unified School Board in 2018. I know our city could have better utilized those funds to meet our communitys needs. San Dieguito Union High School, now San Dieguito High School Academy was the flagship school of the district, in which the first classes . Many priorities are high: public safety, environment, transparency but local control of our land use is the top local issue. Rebekkah Naputi has no known education background but she is endorsed by the Republican Party. We need attainable housing, but not without environmental, traffic, and resource-use considerations, and not without thorough community input and collaboration on development plans.

Signatures On Russian Nesting Dolls, Talking Back To Parents In Islam, Articles O

Comments are closed.