how did wally amos lose his company

He was born and raised in Tallahassee, Florida, until he was 12 years old. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. After his. San Francisco Business Times (November 19, 1993): p. 1. Around the time Wally lost ownership in his company, his career took perhaps it's most remarkable turn. Everyone was stoned and had the munchies so he was always warmly greeted. Amos, Wally, Eden-Lee Murray, and Neale Donald Walsch. Mr. Amos started the original Famous Amos Cookie Company with $25,000 from the singers Marvin Gaye and Helen Reddy, celebrity friends he knew from his days as a talent agent. [16] Wally Amos has 4 children: Michael Amos, Gregory Amos, Sarah Amos,[17] and musician Shawn Amos. Wally Amos is a television personality, entrepreneur, and author from the United States of America. He was sued by the owners of Famous Amos who successfully contended that Amos had relinquished the rights to use his name and likeness in marketing a food product. ." Neither parent could read or write. U.S.A. Watch Wally dish the painful truth of what really happened in this clip from the documentary, \"The Great Cookie Comeback: Re-Baking Wally Amos\". See the movie about his wild life February 28, 2020!FOLLOW WALLY for Breaking Cookie News \u0026 Tasty Content -https://www.facebook.com/greatcookiecFILM WEBSITE - https://greatcookiecomeback.com/A film by Jeff MacIntyre \u0026 Jay SmithProduced by Emmy Award-winning Content Media Group2020 He described his Aunt Della as "happy all the time," and as a woman who loved to cook and bake, especially chocolate-chip cookies. He now leaves the day-to-day operations of his Long Island company, which is based in Hauppauge, to a partner, Lou Avignone, who is a former owner of a larger food distributor. In financial terms, Wally wrote in 1996, all Ive done since is amass debt and miss payments.. Amos elevated a product that was seen as an everyday item into a gourmet experience, says Szewczyk. "Famous Amos is Back in the Chips." It honors a cookie. Amos is also a serial entrepreneur. Ever the optimist, he views the experience as yet another reminder of the power of faith and positive thinking. He has three sons and a daughter and lives in Hawaii. Of his experience living with his Aunt Della, Amos noted "for me, chocolate-chip cookies have always been an expression of love.". ''In quicksand, if you start flailing all about and panicking with each movement you go in deeper, but if you just stay calm and look about, chances are you'll see a twig or something you can reach to pull yourself out. The man beams. We may earn commission from links on this page, but we only recommend products we back. 2023 Southern California Public Radio - All Rights Reserved, The Early LA Daredevils Who Defied Gender Norms, The Groundbreaking Suicide Squad That Tested Early Rockets And Flirted With The Occult, Why A Property Worth Millions Was Returned To The Tongva Tribe, The Rise Of Lady Lowriders And Other All-Women Car Clubs In LA, The Murderous Lover Who Lived In A Silver Lake Attic. Why did Wally Amos lose his company? Amos told Newsweek that when he saw his completed storefront, he was overjoyed. Actually, Amos says, fame never really mattered much to him. With his magnetic personality and promotional skill, Amos quickly moved up the ranks at the fabled agency, which represented superstars like Sonny and Cher, the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones. He created a massive global brandFamous Amos Cookiesand then lost it all.vMost cookie lovers don't know he hasn't been part of that company for almost 30 years.It was a devastating loss, but one he takes full responsibility for. Fine, 1988. https://www.encyclopedia.com/education/economics-magazines/amos-wally, "Amos, Wally Money was so scarce for him and his family that he often had to walk four miles to and from school to save the bus fare. Black Enterprise (November 1992): p. 105. To Wally, setbacks were burnt cookiessacrifices on the alter of carelessness. In nine books, hundreds of speeches, and countless baking metaphors, Wally pours half-full glasses. Amos has married three times, first in 1958. He'd come to the store all the time and my dad would give him free cookies. "Profiting Through Self-Reliance." Wally Amos has an estimated net worth of $20 thousand as of 2023. Bush. In 2017, he launched a GoFundMe announcing he was struggling to pay for food, gas, and rent. Amos headed the rock 'n' roll department, where he signed Simon and Garfunkel and worked with Motown megastars The Supremes, Diana Ross, Sam Cooke and Dionne Warwick. His rise serves as the most infamous cautionary tale. Biography and associated logos are trademarks of A+E Networksprotected in the US and other countries around the globe. https://www.encyclopedia.com/reference/trade-magazines/amos-wally, "Amos, Wally The company sold $300,000 in cookies that year, and by 1982, revenue reached $12 million. He served at Hickam Air Force Base in Honolulu, Hawaii from 1954 until 1957. While Famous Amos still widely uses Amos name and image on its products, Uncle Wallys challenge is to let people know that the man behind the muffins is Amos. But the reason is that theyve told themselves they cant. Amos, Wally and Leroy Robinson. Cite this article Pick a style below, and copy the text for your bibliography. Contents By then, competition in the high-priced cookie business had intensified, and Uncle Noname could not keep up. . https://www.comedyhype.com/ - Wally Amos would become a nationally recognized face because of his hit cookie brand 'Famous Amos'. . He turns to the on-lookers. Encyclopedia.com. Amos never forgot those cookies. Talent-agent-turned-entrepreneur Wally Amos made Famous Amos through hard work, chutzpah and a tasty recipe. The company, based in Shirley, N.Y., expects to produce 250 million muffins this year and 1 billion muffins annually by 2010. Who owns Famous Amos cookie company today? Amos and his cookie empire enjoyed a decade of success. After about a decade of success, mismanagement forced Amos to start selling off parts of his company. He said yes on the condition that they craft the recipe closer to the original. Grab a bag and show up and have cookies. He signed Simon and Garfunkel and The Animals.". Amos and his cookie empire enjoyed a decade of success. At one point, he lost his house. "He worked with all the Motown acts, with the Temptations and Supremes," his son, musician Shawn Amos says. ''We can dramatically increase distribution of the brand and that is everything from building its presence in convenience stores, mass merchandisers, obviously grocery stores and drugstores,'' Mr. Grieve of Keebler said. Recalling the episode in the Providence Business News in 1995, Amos said, "I was irresponsible. "The secret of Famous Amos was my attitude. Amos, Wally, and Camilla Denton. I have a fetish for chocolate chip cookies, Amos admitted in Ebony magazine. ." Amos soon left againthis time for good. Most of the dedicated Famous Amos shops were shuttered. but as a child he had an innate spirit and gift to. How is he? I enjoy making cookies, he told Ebony. But he made a lot of bad decisions, his son says. Then in March the Keebler Company, the new owner of Famous Amos, offered Mr. Amos a two-year contract to promote his old brand. Hughes, Allan J., Jr. "Wally Amos Still Famous but with a Lower Case "F." Providence Business News, 11 December 1995. With the help of a friend, Mr. Amos eventually got the house back. Film and television stars, pop singers, and politicians all professed a craving for Famous Amos cookies. Web site: http://www.saltoninc.com But Famous Amos sued, contending trademark infringement, so he changed the name to Uncle Noname. [9], Due to financial troubles, Amos was forced to sell the Famous Amos Company, and because the name "Famous Amos" was trademarked by his former company, he had to use The Uncle Noname's Cookie Company as his new company's name. ." Contact at: Uncle Noname Cookie CompanyP.O. Your Privacy Choices: Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads, Name: Wally Amos, Birth Year: 1936, Birth date: July 1, 1936, Birth State: Florida, Birth City: Tallahassee, Birth Country: United States. After spending several years in New York City, Amos dropped out of high school to join the U.S. Air Force, where he earned his G.E.D. Why TV Icon Deserves Her Flowers, The Promising Rise And Stunning Fall Of Jason Mitchell, The Story Of Wally Amos: From His Great Success To Tragic Downfall (February 23, 2023). I think its bordering on being fanatical.. The father of four, he continues his work as a spokesperson for Literacy Volunteers of America, and one precent of pretax profits of Uncle Nonam cookies are donated to the support of Cities in Schools, a national dropout-prevention program of which he is a member of the board of directors. The cookies were an immediate sensation; 2,500 people to his stores opening party. In this upbeat effort, Amos offered readers plenty of homespun advice and lively "I was confident Masekela's career would bankroll our dream. In 1986 Amos was named recipient of one of president Ronald Reagans first Awards for Entrepreneurial Excellence. Having made millions with his gourmet cookies, Amos seemed to be riding highhe bought a beautiful home in Hawaii and spent untold nights flying across the country promoting his cookies. Muhammad Ali came by one year, and, you know, it was a whole thing.". I shaved my beard and stopped wearing hats.''. Mr. Amos's cookie craving had returned in the meantime. "Just look at these," he says, looking down at the hard, small, unappealing cookies. Mr. Amos again found himself in a money-losing venture on the verge of collapse. "I did an album of my own years ago called Thank You Shirl-ee May, a tribute to my mom, and Ray Parker, Jr. [ known for singing the theme song to 1984's Ghostbusters] played on the album," Shawn says. For the latest national news from NPR and our live radio broadcast, visit LAist.com/radio. In 1986, Amos was given an Entrepreneurial Excellence Award by President Ronald Reagan (1911-) in appreciation of his remarkable American success story. The Famous Amos Cookie Company was born. The muffins are sold in more than 3,500 stores nationwide. "The cookies' reputation began to grow as my contacts multiplied," he recalled in his book, The Power in You. "He was a fun, positive personality. He also has a daughter named Sarah with his third wife, Christine Harris. At one point, he lost his house. . Did Shark Tank have Crumble cookies? That's not a bad pitch.''. Retrieved February 23, 2023 from Encyclopedia.com: https://www.encyclopedia.com/reference/trade-magazines/amos-wally. He had an impressive client list, which included Simon and Garfunkel, the Temptations, Marvin Gaye (1939-1984), Sam Cooke (1935-1964), Dionne Warwick (1940-), and Diana Ross (1944-). Amos planned a big party to launch his new business: he hired a band, bought champagne, and invited many of his celebrity friends. Commitment kept moving me on from one point to the next. One aspect of Wally Amoss life remains consistent from one era to the next, however: his dedication to his product. ''Certainly Wally Amos carries the namesake, so it was an obvious place to look'' for a spokesman, said Bruce Grieve, Keebler's vice president for new-business development. Theres something very nice about it. Asked about his future in Upscale magazine, Amos grinned and said: The possibilities are endless.. A Self-Made Man Wallace Amos, Jr. was born in Tallahassee, Florida, in 1936. "March 10, 1975," he says. In 1975, a friend suggested to Amos that he set up a store to sell his cookies, and in March of that year, the first Famous Amos cookie store opened in Los Angeles, California. The Man With No Name: Turn Lemons into Lemonade. "He just exuded light," his son says. With hard work and easy charisma, Amos worked his way into a role as a talent scout with William Morris Agency. "I encourage parents to read aloud to children at least from birth to 6 years old. U.S.A. Muffins were really our savior, said Avignone, company president and chief executive. Mount Prospect, Illinois 60056 His speaking fee runs $10,000 to $20,000, according to a booking agencys Web site. Telephone: (856) 342-4800 However, he ran low on funds and returned to his entertainment industry Rolodex in search of backer. Beaverton, Oregon 97077 Copyright 2023 Interactive One, LLC. "He had great instincts about story, and he had great instincts about how to make people feel good," Shawn says. (Photo: Chava Sanchez/LAist; Illustration: Elina Shatkin/LAist). African American entrepreneur Wally Amos founded the Famous Amos cookie brand. Watermelon Magic: Seeds of Wisdom, Slices of Life. The cookies will once again be handmade. When Wally Amos first developed Famous Amos cookies in 1975, the brand became one of the most unlikely success stories in food history. Why is Wally Amos not rich? Karl Braun Drive He began using these cookies, later, as "calling cards" when meeting with clients, and when attending meetings with producers. Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookie Company. I think its more than a fetish. The Top 5 newsletter catches you up with LAs top 5 stories in just 3 minutes. Amos told Ebony: I began to have enormous success when I started doing things to do them well. Lower Lake: Aslan, 1994. Box 419627 When the dust settled, he was barred from using his identity or his face to sell cookies. I poured money into start-up costs, investing heavily in what I was sure was a brilliant future. In 1988, a corporation called the Shansby Group purchased Famous Amos Cookies and successfully repositioned the brand image, changing it from a specialty item to a lower-priced product. [19][20][21] Amos currently resides in Columbia, South Carolina, where he is working on Aunt Della's Cookies.[21]. [13], In 2019, Amos was called "the King of cookies" by NBC affiliate KSNV-TV in Las Vegas. and bake, and it was she who gave Wally Amos his first chocolate chip cookie. LAist's new podcast LA Made: Blood Sweat & Rockets explores the history of Pasadena's Jet Propulsion Lab, co-founder Jack Parsons' interest in the occult and the creepy local lore of Devil's Gate Dam. designates the block as Famous Amos Square and commemorates the first store opened by talent-agent-turned-culinary-entrepreneur Wally Amos. "Amos, Wally Here was proof, Wally later wrote, that a black high school dropout from a broken home in Harlem could make it in this country.. Business Leader Profiles for Students. Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Within months, Amos had opened two more West Coast franchises, and the New York-based Bloomingdale's department store had begun selling the gourmet cookies. Kellogg Company. Business Leader Profiles for Students. Because the name Famous Amos was trademarked by his former company, Amos had to sell the Famous Amos Company because he couldn't afford to do so, and he chose The Uncle Noname's Cookie Company as his new company's name because he couldn't afford to trademark his previous Uncle Wally's Sold To Give & Go Contemporary Black Biography. Amos continued to raise money while diluting his own equity. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. Masekela fired him, so Amos worked at his friend John Levy's entertainment firm. "I don't take things seriously," he says. Before Mrs. Fields and the legion of cookie shops that now tempt us, Wally Amos was the proud owner of perhaps the first cookie-centric store in the United States. "There's a really high awareness of chocolate chip cookies now, and that was created by me." Wally was the only child in a loveless and impoverished Tallahassee marriage. That year the Shansby Group purchased Famous Amos for $3 million. Amos acknowledges making some really bad decisions, such as being too controlling and not listening to others who were advising him to do things differently. Amos envisioned his cookies in luxury retail stores over the usual local supermarket. He also worked as a talent agent and discovered Simon & Garfunkel. Upon discharge from the service, Amos attended secretarial school, learning shorthand, typing, and accounting skills. Born in Tallahassee, he has said his mother switched him at the slightest provocation. His hat and shirt were added to the Smithsonian Institution's advertising collection. "I would team up with others to build a self-contained, music-oriented entertainment company that handled recording, music publishing and personal talent management," Amos recalled in his book, The Cookie Never Crumbles. . Long Island Business News (October 21, 1996): p. 41. . Culinary entrepreneur Wally Amos stands in front of the original Famous Amos store on Sunset Blvd. degree. He also worked as a talent agent and discovered Simon & Garfunkel. As Amos told Diane Toops of Food Processing magazine, "It took me a while to catch up with my name. Wallace "Wally" Amos, Jr. (born July 1, 1936) is an American television personality, entrepreneur, and author from Tallahassee, Florida. ''I can even use my picture on here,'' he said, seemingly astonished. The man who created the Famous Amos cookie empire and eventually lost ownership of the company as well as the rights to use the catchy name is now running a modest cookie shop in Hawaii. Im not a production guy. It filed for bankruptcy in 1996. . In 1962, Amos became the first African American agent, not just at William Morris but at any major talent firm. He became such a known figure culturally that he appeared as himself in the Taxi episode "Latka's Cookies", in 1981. Like any great star, the famous Wally Amos continued to reinvent himself, launching other baking ventures including Uncle Noname Gourmet Muffins (now Uncle Wally's Muffin Company) and The Cookie Kahuna. He was thus able to support his first wife and two small children. "Amos, Wally 1937 She introduced young Wally to the simple delights of a warm, chocolate chip cookie. He began serving cookies to clients, inspired, depending on the account, by either Aunt Della or a back-of-package Nestle recipe. Encyclopedia.com. Wally Amos hugs Jayson Weidmann in the doorway of his cookie store after his weekly children's book reading on June 16, 2007, in Kailua, Hawaii. Hillsboro, OR: Beyond Words Publishing, 1996. Having launched a modest cookie-making venture in Hawaii, Amos was legally forbidden to use his own name, the Famous Amos tag, or his likeness, to describe any of his future endeavors. His cookie shop, Chip & Cookie, is a couple of miles from his home in the oceanside community of Kailua. Graham, Judith, ed. "Whenever I see him, I've got a bag waiting for me.". Amos ultimately advanced to the position of a full-time William Morris talent agent where he contributed to the careers of such entertainers as Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Diana Ross, Sam Cooke, and Marvin Gaye. He began mixing up a new idea. Amos fragrant store is as much about reading as it is about cookies. Why did Wally Amos lose his company? He was reduced to calling his own cookie line Uncle Noname, and the business was struggling. Amos! In the mid-1990s, Amos worked with partners, including Famous Amos distributor Lou Avignone, to launch a muffin company now known as Uncle Wally's Family of Muffins. Leading American Businesses. He was the first black talent scout in America. He bursts in, looking around in exaggerated puzzlement. "Not just once" -says Amos, grinning and pausing to clap his hands sharply twice -"but two times! Since leaving Famous Amos behind, Wally dipped into other bakery ventures, including the launch of another cookie company in the early 1990s. Wallace Amos Jr. was born in Tallahassee, Florida, in 1936, the only child of Wallace and Ruby Amos. Dozens of Famous Amos stores dotted America and different versions of "The Cookie" could be found in grocery stores around the world. America sure must be one remarkable place if someone can be a wild success, a celebrity, from nothing but chocolate chip cookies. Never better!". I was about to get out of the car when I saw, for the first time, the logo on the side of the building: THE ORIGINAL HOME OF THE FAMOUS AMOS CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE. Fax: (503) 627-2406 Amos even appeared in Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade from 1977 to 1981. He found his "dream location" at the old House of Pies on the Sunset Strip and began to renovate it with an eye toward a March 1975 grand opening. Other biographers spin a sadder story. Determined to make his mark by signing a blockbuster act, his tenacity was rewarded when he discovered the singing duo Simon & Garfunkel. "My responsibility, as I see it, is keeping our visibility level very high," he explained to the Los Angeles Times in 1985. Theyve said I am a victim. As a man who had made his living promoting other people as an agent, he used his background to come up with ways to sell cookies. "I never had a superstar but I made a day-to-day living, that was about it," he told the New York Times in 1975. Wallace Amos, Jr. was born July 1, 1936 in his parents' home in Tallahassee, Florida. Whatever his former ties to it, he said, ''I will always be Famous Amos. "Never been better, man! Wally Amos, Jr. was born in Florida in 1936. And I'm going to do it again, even better. There's nothing to be serious about. He lived with an aunt, Della Bryant, who taught him how to make chocolate chip cookies. "Wally Amos Launches Baked Goods Line Out of Long Island Headquarters." In 1994, the two became partners and subsequently launched Uncle Noname Gourmet Muffins. In 1989, yet another group of investors dismissed Amos from the company he had founded. The new owners gobbled up more of my share until all of a sudden I found I had lost all ownership in the company I founded, Amos wrote. With financial backing from singers like Gaye and an innovative marketing initiative, which included an extensive advertising campaign and a gala grand opening, the first Famous Amos cookie store opened on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles in 1975. Forbes, March 10, 1986, pp. The move proved to be a mistake, as the new owners began to run the company into the ground. How Did Amos Lose Famous Amos Cookies? However, he faced financial setbacks and lost ownership of his company. Thought is everything, love is everything. It is now facing changing demographics and gentrification. Within the Cite this article tool, pick a style to see how all available information looks when formatted according to that style. ." "Attached to the inside was a little plastic bag with the cookies inside one chocolate chip cookie with pecans, one butterscotch chip cookie with pecans, and one peanut butter chocolate chip cookie stapled right there on the front page of the proposal. Amos says the mistake he made with Famous Amos Cookies was not assembling a good management team. What have you put in your dash?". Wally Amos's Net Worth is $20,000 As of now, Wally Amos has a net worth of merely $20,000. That was the whole schtick.". And with his Keebler deal, Mr. Amos is back on the promotional circuit. It's as simple as that. "When the store opened, it was him in the back making cookies and me standing on a milk crate in the front, selling.". ''And they were using a real low-grade vanilla flavoring, and I always used vanilla extract. 2019Encyclopedia.com | All rights reserved. Why did Wally Amos lose his company? These cookies were marketed in a store in Hawaii, where Amos was based. Although Wally Amos was introduced to chocolate chip cookies by his Aunt Delia and her old-fashioned recipe, when Amos started his own business he used a recipe by Ruth Wakefield, who is credited with inventing chocolate chip cookies at her Toll House Inn in Whitman, Massachusetts, in the 1930s. Aunt Della loved to cook If you respect your customers as friends, they will respect you and support you in good times and bad times, he said. He is about to return to the cookie business. The legal order came from the owners of the Famous Amos Cookie Company. . He was the only child of the marriage of Wallace and Ruby Amos. I was like a kid in a candy store!". Or, if you stay there long enough someone will come and rescue you.''. Cookies made him famous, but Amos has his own take: I want to be known as a guy who cared about people. . He brought them to meetings and gatherings, always getting enthusiastic praise. [10][failed verification] A Famous Amos distributor at the time, Lou Avignone, heard Amos on a local radio talk show and, inspired by Amos' story of his early business success with Famous Amos and his spirit, contacted Amos with the idea for starting a new business. The man who once called himself the face that launched a thousand chips told Parade magazine of his new company: Its still methe best Wally Amos I can be., Amoss self-professed love affair with the chocolate chip cookie began in his childhood. The Cookie Never Crumbles: Inspirational Recipes for Everyday Living. http://www.GreatCookieComeback.com Wally Amos was the King of the Cookie Kingdom. Fax: (816) 502-4155 Somebody did something to me that paralyzed me for life. If you believe that, youll never move forward.. The Sunset Boulevard set couldnt get enough of the Cookie Mans magic mix. "It's interesting," he recalled in 1987 during a speech at the Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce, "because friends would see me and before even saying 'hello,' they would say, 'Hey man, where are my cookies?'". In 1975, Amos launched the first Famous Amos store on Los Angeless Sunset Boulevard. The Uncle Nonam (pronounced No-NAHH-may) Cookie Company specializes in five varieties of gourmet cookies. ", While "The Cookie" was supposedly the star, Amos's kindness and goodwill helped make Famous Amos successful. Address: Office c/o Uncle Nonam Cookie Company, 984252 Pupuole St., Waipahu, HI 96797. Kellogg spokeswoman Kris Charles said the company has not significantly changed the original recipe when it acquired Famous Amos in 2001, as part of Keebler. When his mother and grandmother came to New York, Amos moved in with them in 1951. In 1967, Amos left William Morris and moved to Los Angeles, where he struggled to set up his own personal management company. (AP Photo/Lucy Pemoni). Being famous is highly overrated anyway, Wally Amos, author of ten books, friend of Simon & Garfunkel, and inventor of the Famous Amos cookie, told an AP reporter in 2007. Amos, who turned 71 this month, is co-founder and shareholder of Uncle Wally's Muffin Co., whose products are found in 5,000 stores nationwide, including Costco and Wal-Mart. Hard as it is to imagine in the '90s, there was a time in America when there was no shop devoted solely to chocolate chip cookies. You have to focus on what you can do, he said. By 1985, Famous Amos reported a $300,000 loss on sales of $10 million. "I'm not concerned with whether people appreciate me or not. He has a thing for baked goods, specifically, cookies. The man who created the Famous Amos cookie empire three decades ago and eventually lost ownership of the company as well as the rights to use the catchy name is now running a modest cookie shop in Hawaii. . Around this time, in 1970, Amos, frustrated both personally and professionally, began to soothe his nerves by making cookies like his Aunt Della had done. [On-line] http://www.keebler.com (accessed on August 15, 2002). The Famous Amos Cookie Company was the first premium chocolate chip cookie. We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us! New World Order - Daniel Lpez - EFO 241. This is also how Toll House brand cookies got their start. Leading American Businesses. His title choice, however, raised some eyebrows. But Amos became restless and dropped out of school just months before graduation, signing up for the U.S. Air Force in 1953. Why did Wally Amos lose his company? Amos said: "We were made to think, to be curious, to seek solutions, and not add to problems." . A Famous Cookie And a Face to Match; How Wally Amos Got His Hand And His Name Back in the Game, https://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/03/business/famous-cookie-face-match-wally-amos-got-his-hand-his-name-back-game.html. "On the front cover there was a picture of The Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookie," he writes in The Cookie Never Crumbles. What about his grinning picture on the bag? "Amos, Wally Keebler acquired the brand last year, becoming its fifth owner. Most online reference entries and articles do not have page numbers. It was from his aunt Della Bryant, who would bake cookies for him, that Amos later developed his chocolate chip cookie recipe.[1]. Except the boy never takes the pillow off his face. By the early 80s, Americas cookie baron was clearing hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, drawing national attention for the Literary Volunteer of America, and winning kudos from Ron Reagan for his free-market hustle. Encyclopedia.com. Famous Amos was selling $5 million worth of cookies by 1980, and just two years later sales had rocketed to $12 million. Wally Amos became the first Black talent agent in the history of the William Morris Agency in 1962.

Wwsb News Director, Articles H

Comments are closed.